Are there 7 Chakras or more?
Since time immemorial, debates have raged on about the exact number of chakras in the aura or the Energy Body of a person. Different schools of thinking have different theories. While some spiritual leaders put the number of chakras at 7, others believe that the body has a total of 11 chakras in human body.
What's the Magic Number?
The number of chakras varies from religion to religion, culture to culture and time period to time period. Ancient Indian literature mentions 7 chakras. Modern literature also talks about 7 chakras. Master Choa Kok Sui confirms that the number of chakras is 11. So whom do we believe? There is a point to note here. Even though the ancient scriptures mention the existence of 7 chakras, nowhere is it mentioned that there are only 7 chakras. Readers often simply assume that there are only 7 chakras. This is an assumption without a basis.
Global Interpretations of the Chakras in Human Body
Here’s a summing up of the ambivalence that shrouds the concept of Chakras:-
- Some ancient literature as well as modern writings talk about 7 chakras.
- The city of 9 gates mentioned by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita is believed to be a reference to the 9 chakras.
- A reference to a city with 11 gates is made in the Upanishads. Many believe that it is an allusion to the 11 chakras. (Katha Upanishad, stanza 5) The other 2 chakras revealed are Meng Mein chakra and the Forehead Chakra.
- The Kabalistic system believes in the concept of 11 chakras- 10 energy centers and 1 hidden energy center.
- The Vijnanabhairava (an ancient text on Yoga) mentions 12 energy centers.
- The secret of the 11 major chakras was first mentioned by Master Choa Kok Sui in his book ‘The ancient science and art of Pranic Healing’ in the year 1987. The book has since been re-titled ‘Miracles through Pranic Healing’.
- Mention has been made of 10 chakras/Sephiroth and one hidden chakra in the Inverted Tree of Life.
Students need to understand that truth is ever-evolving. And this is the basis behind progress. It is important to discard the lower truth and embrace the higher truth. Truth is dynamic and understanding also needs to evolve with the truth.
Your Very Own Energy Transformers
Chakras are believed to be energy transformers, which mean that they transform one form of energy into another form of energy. Spiritual energy is mellowed down, modified, transformed and physicalized- right from the crown energy center to the basic energy center. Spiritual energy transformers also intensify, mellow down and modify the energy passing through them.
Spiritual energy transformers also include the moons, the planets, the suns, the stars, the galaxies, the universes and the maxiuniverse. They are also known as the Celestial Whirling Energy Centers or Celestial Chakras.
According to the 4th level of truth, there are in fact more than 11 chakras. There are 12 chakras. The 12th chakra was first mentioned by Master Choa Kok Sui in the year 2000, in his book, ‘Meditations for Soul Realization’. The book was later re-titled ‘Achieving Oneness with the Higher Soul’. To know more about the 12th Chakra, read our article on the same.
- The Chakras and their Functions by Master Choa Kok Sui